Wednesday, March 2, 2016

blog 5

Selfie Culture (parts  1 - 4)


Ms. Posner sounds like the kind of teacher everybody should have; the labels and departments and whatever else shouldn't play a role so much in the development of a course as the content and lessons do. Also, I think a course primarily geared towards social norms for millennials is a great idea. I know every generation sees change, but I honestly believe they have seen the most drastic changes of any recent generation. Or rather, the most has changed between their generation and the previous one. I think it is important to explore these changes and integrate them into current curricula. We often complain that schools are teaching kids outdated information/ that lessons are impractical/ do not teach any useful life skills. I think "selfie courses" and things of the like will prove to be a first step in a very good direction.

on "blurry pictures" - almost anything can be aesthetically pleasing when done a certain way. Even if it isn't done a certain way, there are still people who will like an image - whether it be genuine or because they think it is cool to do. Example, I came across this image today:


It had over 1,000 likes, even though it's nothing particularly interesting, creative or original. I guess it follows the "no reason" logic mentioned in selfie pedagogy ii.


"nothing exists outside of context" an interesting point, although I disagree. In fact, I think a selfie is a perfect example of something that can stand without its context. At the very least, the context does not matter yet. I'm sure the context of historical paintings that we now put on display in museums didn't matter much when they were created (although those paintings are some of the few clues we have to life back then, so I guess its possible that causes us to overemphasize the context). And I don't think our selfies will ever reach that level of importance, since there are so many ways to document life now. But I do believe the importance of the context will emerge in the future. Until then, I don't think context really plays that much of a role in selfie culture.

"This kind of self-reflection scrutinizes aspects of self consciousness." This is more what I was expecting these 4 articles to be like. And this idea is extremely interesting to me. A good mix of digital interface and psychology. 

"Playbour" I really like this term and that it has been brought into question. Often times, when companies make a contest or a challenge where people have to post themselves with the company's product, I think, "The company gain free advertising, but what do these people gain?" 

I also love the topic of representation. From reading personal narratives on my own social media platforms, I have learned how important media representation is to the everyday person. 

Final thoughts: these articles were pretty good, although I was expecting a bit more analysis. I felt that 1 - 3 were more explanatory that I expected. I felt 4 was more analytical and I liked that one the best. I think it was a good note to end on, and hopefully it sets the tone for our own class discussions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment